Hacı Seyfettin Mosque
This mosque was built in the 15th century by Başçı Hadji Seyfettin during the reign of Mehmed the Conqueror (1451-1481). After having been left to its rack and ruin state for a while, in 1487, it was re-built by a charitable person called Mevlana Hayrettin. As it is known that this mosque had not sustained any damage in the 1855 earthquake, it is believed that its today’s state is the original one.
This mosque’s main prayer hall measuring 6.75 x 6.75 m, together with its portico for latecomers measuring 4 m in depth, is built with a rectangular ground plan. Its walls are masoned using the pattern of three rows of bricks, with two rows of rubble stones. Some of its sections, however, are built with three rows of bricks, with one row of hewn stones.
The structure’s frontage with its gable wall, an element frequently seen with the Bursa mosques, has an atypical element; it is built with two big pointed arches. A niche with a pointed arch built between these two arches makes the façade “move”. Hexagonal stones were used here.
The visitor accesses the portico for latecomers from the area at the left-hand side built with two large arches, which later on were closed with glass cases. This portico for latecomers is built with two sections, and is covered with mirror vaults.
During the 1487 renovation, the covering of this mosque’s main prayer hall was converted into a roof, which, however, was replaced by a dome during the 1962 renovation performed according to the original plans. In its interior, the transition to this dome is provided by means of Turkish triangles. The structure’s mihrab is built with four rows of stalactite work.
The structure’s minaret is accessed by passing through a door, which is situated at the main prayer hall’s northwestern corner. This minaret has a dodecagonal plinth block, and is bonded to the mosque’s wall. This minaret is a very tall one; there are six rows of stalactite work, and a ring under its balcony.
This structure was restored in 1487 and in 1962.