The mansion was built by Muhyi Bey in the late 19th century. Later, it was purchased by Miralay (Colonel) Mehmet Bey. This mansion was purchased with the initiatives of Bursa Mayor Hasan Sami Bey, during Ataturk’s second Bursa visit (January 20 - 24, 1923), and dedicated to Ataturk.
In the middle of the 20th century, the mansion was assigned to the Ministry of Culture. After completing all necessary renovation work and reorganisations, it was opened as a museum in 1973, on the Turkish Republic’s 50th anniversary. Due to various structural problems, comprehensive restoration work and landscaping were performed between 2003 and 2005.
Influenced by 19th century’s French architecture, the mansion was built in the Empire style. Its balconies, pediment eaves, and corner ornaments, are agreed to be original examples of fine timber craftsmanship. It has a long central room, and consists of basement, ground floor, first floor, and attic.
Several objects used by Ataturk are exhibited in this museum. Furthermore, the mansion has a multi-purpose hall, and houses the Ataturk Archives.