This mosque was built by Umur Bey in 1449 or 1451 during the reign of Murad II. Umur Bey, both a soldier and a scholar, was granted with the rank of a vizier during the reign of Murad II.
There is a marble epitaph board at either side of the mosque’s entrance door, written in Turkish. These are the first waqf charts known in Bursa being written in Turkish. The waqf chart of 1455 states that this mosque was built by Umur Bey, the son of Timurtash, and that there are the “Umur Bey” Hamam, or public bath, the “Tuzpazar Caravanserai”, as well as various shops at its side, which belong to the waqf.
This structure, together with its portico for latecomers, is built with a rectangular plan. The main prayer hall is built with a square plan. The portico for latecomers built with five sections, is borne by three columns from the Byzantine era with Corinthian capitals. This mosque has a large garden, and a graveyard. Furthermore, there is the “Umur Bey” drinking fountain set into the structure’s western wall.
This mosque was renovated between 1627 and 1628, in 1795, 1825, 1858, and in 2014.