Mausoleum of Gulruh Hatun
Gulruh Hatun, wife of Bayezid II, a charitable lady, ordered a masjid and a school to be built in Akhisar and in Bursa, respectively. Donating many shops, a “hamam”, or public bath, a “han”, or caravanserai, and a mill, she ordered her own mausoleum to be built while she was alive. The date of construction of this mausoleum is 1527, the decease of Gulruh Hatun, however, is some years later.
The hand-drawn ornaments in this mausoleum dating back to the 16th century are one of the period’s best calligraphic work ornaments as to colours, design, and ornament composition. This hand-drawn ornaments were plastered in the late 19th century, and covered by baroque decoration elements. During the 2013 restoration, this plastering was rasped, and the hand-drawn ornaments dating back to the 16th century below it, appeared, and thus were resurrected.
There are four marble tombs inside this mausoleum. As stated in historical records, these are the tombs of Gulruh Hatun, wife of Bayezid II, of Kamer Sultan, her daughter, of Fatma Sultan, daughter of Prince Alemshah, and of Osman, son of Kamer Sultan.
The mousoleum which was thoroughly restored by Bursa Metropolitan Municipality between 2013 and 2014 is located in the site which was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list in 2014.