The epitaph board over its entrance door states that this mosque was built in 1479 by Yahya, son of Yahya Huseyin, by-named “Dusturhan”, during the reign of Mehmed the Conqueror (1451-1481). Its three-line epitaph means: "This holy masjid was built by Yahya, (may Allah forgive him), son of Yahya Huseyin, famous under the name Dustur Han, in need of the all-possessing Allah's mercy, in Muharram (the first month of) 884 of the Hegira calendar, giving impetus during the reign of Sultan Mehmed, son of Sultan Murad, son of the Sultan, the sultan of the lands and the ruler of the seas (may Allah make his possessions and sultanate last forever).”

Formerly, the waters coming to Bursa were distributed here. Therefore, this neighbourhood was called “Maksem”, derived from the expression “water distribution place”, and this name was given to the mosque, too. It is also called “Dusturhan” Mosque, using the by-name of its sponsor.

This mosque is built with a rectangular plan. Its walls are masoned using bricks and stones, and there is a portico for latecomers at its entrance. Its main prayer hall’s interior measures 7.10 x 8.00 m, and its dome, outside and inside, sits on an octagonal tambour, and on Turkish triangles, respectively. The vaulted portico for latecomers, however, consists of three sections interconnected by pointed arches. The central one is narrower, and the lateral ones are broader. The spaces between these arches are closed with glass cases. Although the dome’s lead covering was taken off by mutewalli Çavush Saraç Mehmet (the trustee of a waqf), and covered with roofing tiles, it anew was covered with lead during the 1775 renovation. Sunlight is provided by means of eighteen windows. The mosque’s mihrab, a rectangular niche, is decorated with five rows of stalactite work. Its minaret, which is located in the northeastern corner of the main prayer hall, has an octagonal plinth block. The transition to its cylindrical brick body is provided by triangles. The minaret is decorated with stalactite work under its balcony, and has a pointed spire.

This structure was renovated in 1955 by “Bursa Ancient Artwork Lovers’ Society”. In its graveyard at its west, there is also the tomb of Hodja Ali Pasha, son of “Dusturhan” (died 1503). Only a few tombstones are still remaining.

Views