"Karaçelebizade (Setbashı)" Mosque
This mosque was built in 1594 by Karaçelebizade Husamettin Efendi, a high judiciary official. It is also known as “Kara Çelebi Mosque”, “Kurtoglu Mosque” and “Çavush Mehmet Masjid”. As it is situated next to Setbashi Bridge, it is also called “Setbashi Mosque”.
The structure’s walls are masoned using bricks and rubble stones. They are plastered and painted. Its main prayer hall measuring 8.8 x 14.15 m, together with its portico for latecomers at its entrance measuring 3.3 m in depth, is built with a rectangular plan. Both are covered with a one-piece timber roof covered with roofing tiles.
Sunlight is provided to this mosque by eight and two windows in the lower and the upper section, respectively. As this structure was renovated many times, its appearance slightly differs from that of the other Bursa mosques. This structure’s windows in southern, eastern and western direction bear traces of the 19th century’s Late Ottoman Architecture. It is long building and has drop arches. In the northern frontage, where the portico for latecomers is situated, however, rectangular windows were used. Its mihrab has five tapering edges.
The minaret situated at the mosque’s north-east is built with a square plan. At the mosque’s north-east, there is an ablution fountain, one of 40 drinking fountains of the Muftu water provided and donated to Bursa by Sheyhulislam Abdulaziz Efendi.
This mosque was built in 1654 by Sheyhulislam Karaçelebizade Abdulaziz Efendi, the son of Karaçelebizade Husamettin Efendi, and renovated in 1813 by Bursa Governor Ahmet Aziz Pasha from the same family. It was repaired again after the 1855 earthquake and the 1863 Setbashi fire. Lastly, it was renovated in 1997 by Bursa Metropolitan Municipality.