This khan was built after the conquest of Bursa by Orhan Gazi as a part of the kulliye complex, with the purpose of providing income to the complex. According to an epitaph board from 1339 at Orhan Mosque, it is known that this khan was built around this date.
“Emir” Khan is the first of the Ottoman khans.
This two-floor building shelters 74 warehouses and shops, 36 and 38 being located on the ground floor and the upper floor, respectively.
From the times of its construction to date, “Emir” Khan was renovated many times. Besides both its plan and structural features, this khan has preserved also its functional authenticity.