The Bedestan, built by Yıldırım Bayezid (1389-1402) at the end of the 14th century, is the first covered bazaar of the Ottoman Period. It was planned in the north of Grand Mosque, parallel to the bazaar axis.
The building, which has gates opening in four directions, is the pioneer of the idea of the covered bazaar located in the center within the traditional Turkish bazaar system with the possibility of giving passage to all sides. With this covered bazaar, the focal point of the bazaar has become more evident. It has also been an example for the Edirne Bedesten built after it.
There are 32 shops inside and 68 shops outside.
This structure, which formed the core of banking and stock exchange at the time it was built, has been used for centuries as a place where the most valuable goods of the country are bought and sold and valuable items are stored. Today, it is used as a building where there are jewelery stores.