Formed as an Ion Colony by the Kolophones in 7th Century BC, Mudanya bore the name Mirleia first, then Apamia and finally Montania. The name Mudanya came from the change of Montania. Mudanya was the center of the district back in the 19th Century and it has Karacabey at its west, Bursa at its north, neighbors with Gemlik at its east and the Gemlik Gulf at its south. It is 32 kilometers away from Bursa. It occupies an area of 346 km². There are 36 villages within 2 towns (Zeytinbagi and Guzelyali) under Mudanya. At the centrum of the district, there are 8 neighborhoods. According to the 2007 data, population of the district is 62,369 and constantly gets new people moving in. An important port city for centuries, Mudanya still continues its duties today as ‘’Bursa’s port’’. Bursa’s connection with Istanbul is done via the Mudanya/Guzelyali coast.
Due to its coast and proximity to the province, Mudanya is the countryside center of Bursa and with its fish restaurants and residential areas such as Sigi, Kumkaya and Zeytinbagi (Trilye) along with its street and historical homes, it as a charming coastal town and a tourist center. Due to the summer months being cool, the touristic season does not last too long. Aside from foreign tourism, there are tourism activities being carried out daily with the visitors coming from other provinces and districts and especially from Bursa. In addition to this, number of people staying at their own summer homes is quite high. Historical Cultural Sites: Aside from the Mudanya Armistice Museum, the ‘’Tahir Pafla Mansion’’ outside the district center is an important architectural structure that needs to be seen. It is the most beautiful example of the 19th century mansions. Being used as a hotel today, Mudanya Train Station is another must-see architectural structure. There are 7 churches and 3 holy springs left from the Greeks in the small town of Zeytinbagi (Trilye) of which has extraordinary beauty in terms of scenery. The St. Staphanos church was transformed into a mosque (Fatih Mosque) in the 14th century. It is said that the ‘’arched church’’ named Panagia Pantobalissa that was brought to Iskenderiye is the first church in the world that had pictures drawn on its walls. There is also a Hagios Taxiarchoi Church in Sigikoy which is thought to be built in the 780s.
There is no precise information about the creator/builder of the mosque. However, it is thought Haci Ali Zagili Magrabi had it built. There is a plaque on top of the entrance door with a 1453 written on it. Planned as rectangular towards the north-south direction, the mosque has an actual place of worship and a narthex and the roof is a hipped roof and covered by tiles. The mihrab (alter) is covered by blue and white square-shaped glazed tile panels.
From the inscription on the South wall of the mosque’s courtyard, it is understood to have been built in 1677. The old building was town down in 1975 and the present reinforced concrete mosque was built. The mosque is square-shaped and it has a large dome that is sitting on an octagonal frame. It was rebuilt because its minaret had crumbled down all the way to the base.
Hasan Bey Mosque: it seems from its inscription that the mosque was built in 1652-1953 by Mirliva-i Hasan Bey. The structure is rectangular-shaped towards the north-south direction and its walls are engraved with rubble stones and bonding timbers and the roof is covered by tiles. Northwest minaret is single-balconied and at its north there is an inscription fountain.
Built in 1715, the mosque is named after its builder. Repaired many times, the minaret of the mosque still preserves its authenticity.
The waterside residence situated on the coast of Mudanya where the ceasefire agreement was signed to end the Turkish-Greek war between Grand National Assembly of Turkey and the allied powers on October 11, 1922 is a 19th century structure. The mansion was built in accordance with the civil architecture of its era and has been serving as a museum since 1937. In the museum, there are variety of documents and materials from the Turkish War of Independence and Armistice along with goods/objects from that era on display.
The building is a 19th century structure and it was built to serve as a Mudanya Railway Line Management building. The building maintained its existence for more than one hundred years and was used as a district governorship lodging between the years 1958 and 1963 and as a women arts school at nights between the years 1963 and 2000. Located on the Mudanya Seaport Square, the building was restored by the Bursa Metropolitan Municipality in 2009 and opened for service as a Mudanya Station Social Facility.
Built in 1870 by one of the notables of Bursa, Tahir Aga, the Hamam is also known as the Nure Hamam. Made in accordance with the typology of a double Hamam, the restoration works are being carried out today without being too far from its unique identity and staying true to its originality.
Built by Hasan Bey in 1652, the Hamam failed to stand the test of time and was used as a carpenter’s shop for a long period of time. Today, the Hamam will be given back to Mudanya with Cultural Center functionalities and in accordance with its originality.
The place was achieved by restoring an old Greek church in Mudanya and provides services as a culture center today. In the center, there are dressing rooms for the cast and study rooms and it was re-designed with a hall and a balcony.
The district is Bursa’s seaport/dock and there are mansions which are refined products of the traditional residential architecture and show the height of the economic levels of the city’s past. And Tahir Pasha Mansion is one of these architectures that dazzle us with its magnificent entrance doors serves as a library and a mansion today.
In of the hand-written documents prepared by Dr. J. Covel in 1676, it is indicated that the church was dedicated to Panagia Pantobasilissa (Virgin Mary). The dome and the bell tower of the building collapsed during the earthquake on February 1855 and even though it was repaired in 1883, it lost its original character.
Its columns being brought from Iskenderiye, it is said that it is the first church in the world that had pictures drawn on its walls. Its walls have layers of pictures on them and this church is very important for the Orthodox world.
Frescos/murals that have the pictures of the four major angels have resisted time and have managed to survive up until today.
The building was structured in the form of a Cross. There are very rare surviving examples today from the Byzantine architecture from the year 610 through 850. Among these are what is known today in Tirilye as the building of Fatih Mosque (previous name was Hagios Stephanos – Hinolakkos Church). With the invasion of the Turks in the region, a minaret and a mihrab/alter was added to the building and turned into a mosque. However, even though it is being used as a mosque, the general structure of the church has been preserved.
It is said that the church on the coast of Kumyaya (Sigi) Village of Mudanya was built towards the end of the 19th century. However, if we look at it in terms of architectural features and materials, it can be said that the church may have been built around 8th 9th century. As a matter of fact, in some sources, it is mentioned that the year the church was built is 780.
Stone School is one of the many school buildings built on the empire lands as a symbol of modernization movements seen during the reforms that aimed to organize the Ottoman Empire’s political, social and economic structures that started with the Imperial Edict of Reorganization which was put into effect during the Sultan Abdulmecid era in 1839. Built between 1904 and 1909 by Chirisostomos who was born in Tirilye and returned to Turkey as a metropolitan bishop after receiving his education in Greece, the Stone School is the most magnificent structures of Tirilye.
5 kilometers away from Tirilye, you can reach the Aya Yani Church by taking the 3 kilometer dirt road that passes through the olive groves and the sunflower fields. Seems more majestic than the sea and situated on a private land, the monastery is in ruins today. The church received its name from priest Aya Yani who is the subject of one of the tales derived from Tirilye’s name.
This antique port in the Kapanca region left from the Greeks in Tirilye was an important strategic focal point of coastal transportation of every era of history.
Located on the same city block and in front of the southern facade of Fatih Mosque, the exact name and date of construction of the Hamam is unknown but there is an existing information that it was made in the first half of the 16th century by the Turks who were brought to Kastamonu and Uskudar during the era of Yavuz Sultan Selim.
It is an old church building. It was used as a cafeteria between 1923 and 1927.
Among the monastery church structures, there are only the Peribolos walls remaining today which were made in the later years. On the entrance wall there is a date of 1801 written on an inscription that is too distorted to read.